Resources for Faculty

Key Forms

MAE Key Authorization Form

HSSEAS Key Request Form

Facilities Management

Lance Kono
Equipment/Facilities Management
Engineering IV Bldg.
(310) 825-8010

Space allocation, parking services, equipment management and rental, room access keys, telecommunications request, facilities service requests.

Equipment Purchases
Equipment purchases require a quote and a completed PAC Form The documentation should be forwarded to Lance Kono. Certain pieces of equipment may require additional documentation and/or justification. Please see below.

Computer Purchases
Computer purchases require a quote, completed PAC Form and a justification letter, should the purchase be made with extramural funds.

Sole Source Items
Purchase contracts involving an expenditure of $50,000 or more for goods or services must be awarded to lowest responsible bidder meeting specifications or else quotations will be rejected. Therefore, a Sole Source Request Form must be completed and attached to completed PAC Form.

All free standing pieces of equipment valued at $5,000.00 or more are considered inventorial equipment and will have a property number assigned to it.

Space Allocation
The Department Chair is responsible for allocation of space. Room assignments for temporary faculty, visitors, and TAs are made by Lance Kono.

Room Access Keys
If the requester has been assigned space in the MAE Dept. and/or need access to labs or administrative common areas, he/she will be given a card and/or keys with his/hers supervisor’s approval.

Facilities Service Requests
All Engineering and Campus Facilities requests are to be placed through Lance Kono. These services, in general, will incur a charge, and a recharge ID must be provided along with advisor and/or supervisor approval.

Campus FSR
(Facilities Service Requests) estimates are free of charge. A recharge ID is required to request an estimate. Estimates of $50,000 or more are open for competitive bidding.

Parking Services
Faculty, Staff, Students, Visiting Lecturers and Guest parking permits. Contact Lance Kono (room 46-127B) for parking applications and general information.

Graduate students applying for parking are required to be employed at least 49% time. Students are assigned lots 4 and 8.

PAC Form (PDF)
Data Projector Request Form (Excel) or (PDF)


Please send all purchasing requests to This includes regular POs, outstanding invoices, and P-card orders.

Purchase of Goods and Services (Delivery Procedures)

To order goods and services with values less than $5,000

  • Fill out the PAC order form with complete information
  • Contact vendor and write his/her name on the form, verify the price of your items or even request a quote
  • Do not forget to ask if your item is available, sometimes the vendor does no’t have the item in stock. This prevents a long wait, and you can contact an alternate vendor.
  • Get approval of your PI and ask what account you should use for this purchase
  • Submit your order at least 5 days in advance so as to prevent:
    • Delays with shipment
    • Items not being in stock
    • Any other unknown problems

To order goods and services with values in excess of $5,000

Campus purchasing establishes the terms and conditions of purchase.

Please visit UCLA Purchasing web site for further details.

  • This order requires special handling due to its value. For this reason you should submit a memo that justifies the order with the signature of your PI.
  • Fill out the PAC order form with complete information.
  • Follow the same procedure when ordering goods and services with values less than $2,500

Expense Reimbursement Requests ($1,000 maximum)

  1. On a letter-size sheet of paper indicate:
    • Your name
    • Student ID
    • Complete home address
    • Phone number
    • E-mail address
    • Purchase justification
    • Whether or not you have direct deposit
  2. Contact your PI for his/her approval signature and account number to be charged.
  3. Make copies of your receipts and keep them for your records.
  4. Attach original receipts to the signed form and submit the paperwork.


  • Do not buy any items or services with values in excess of $1,000 since you cannot be reimbursed
  • Purchases over $5,000 require a special procedure submit an order
  • Please attempt to submit orders at least a week in advanced of the day needed
  • If you receive a double shipment of your order, a wrong item, or if you do not receive your order within 5 to 8 days, contact the person who placed the order.

Speaker Honoraria


Entertainment Policy

Click here for the Entertainment Policy

Other notes regarding the Entertainment Policy

All travel reimbursements are processed through Travel Express. Receipts are still the most important items for any travel reimbursements. Receipts will be routed via fax for image attachment. We will keep the originals on file in the department. The new travel express system “package deals” i.e., airfare & hotel purchased from Orbitz or some other site, will be rejected if there isn’t an itemized bill from the hotel. Package deals within the current system are being approved. However, with the new system, they will automatically be rejected. If you have any questions or concerns about a travel reimbursement, please talk with your support person before you travel.


Charges not allowed on PCARD

  • Airfare, Registrations, Hotel, Car rental, restaurants (Anything to do with Travel or entertainment) Must be charged on a GE travel card or Express, see:
  • Conferences, registration fees. (Express or GE travel Card)
  • Food / Alcoholic Beverages.
  • Personal Purchases.
  • Cash or cash like transactions.
  • Fuel.
  • Gifts, Flowers, Sympathy gifts.
  • Services in general. Professional Services, Contracted Services, Telemarketing, etc.
  • Recurring Charges.
  • Procurement Card is NOT to be used for service awards and/or retirement gifts awarded under G-41 and G-42.
  • UCLA Policy 740

UCLA Policy 740: Items Not To Be Purchased with University Controlled Funds

It is campus policy not to purchase items for personal use. Since the items listed below normally fall into this category, exceptions will have to be approved by a dean or department head and the proper campus administrator before a final purchase can be made.

  • Athletic equipment and supplies for tennis, golf, etc., unless it is part of an approved program of physical education or recreation.
  • Coffee-making equipment, including all devices for making and serving coffee.
  • Examination books (blue books).
  • Desk or office items such as nameplates, desk clocks, desk sets and brief cases.
  • Ornamental items, such as ash trays, pictures, vases, pillows, planters, plants, Christmas decorations, draperies, window coverings, etc.
  • Personalization of University equipment.
  • Picture framing of pictures, certificates, or other items not the permanent property of the University.
  • Stereos, VCR’s, and televisions.
  • Repairs to personal property.
  • Gifts, flowers, fruit or mementos outside the limits and guidelines defined in Business and UC Finance Bulletin G-41 (PDF).
  • Parties for academic and non-academic staff, including retirees, in conflict with the guidelines of UC Business & Finance Bulletin BUS-79.

Travel Reimbursement Instructions and Request Form


Travel Reimbursement Instructions

UCLA’s general requirement is that the deadline to submit a Travel Reimbursement Request in the Travel Express System is within 45 DAYS after the completion of travel, but the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department recommends that all Travel Reimbursement Requests be provided to an Administrative Assistant at least 30 DAYS after the completion of travel because of the delay caused by the backlog of earlier submissions. However, the BEST ADVICE is to turn in all Travel Reimbursement Requests immediately after the conclusion of the trip. If you submit your travel 30 days or more after the completion of travel, please also include a justification for late submission, otherwise, Travel Accounting may consider your reimbursement income and subject you to income taxes.

  • Travel reimbursement is due after the completion of the trip, and a Travel Reimbursement Request Form must be completed.
  • Original itemized receipts (list of what was purchased) must be submitted for all expenses
  • Itemized receipts must show form of payment (cash, check, ATM debit or credit card). If item was paid by Bank or Credit Card, your name and bank or credit card digits should appear on the receipt, otherwise please provide a bank or credit card If the item was paid by check, the front and back of the cancelled check is required.
  • All travel reimbursements require a justification detailing the reason for the trip and must include the name of the conference or meeting, as well as the dates and location.
  • If available, please provide the account name, FAU number, or recharge ID code to charge.

ONLY THE TRAVELER will be reimbursed. You CANNOT pay for another traveler’s expenses.

Domestic Travel:

  • UCLA DOES NOT honor DOMESTIC Per Diem.
  • Meals and incidentals will be reimbursed based on the actual amount spent (with original itemized receipts) up to a daily maximum of $62. There is no exception to the $62 maximum.
  • Reimbursement for meals of a trip that is LESS THAN 24 hours in duration IS NOT REIMBURSABLE, unless the travel involves an overnight stay.
  • Car rentals – “Economy only” is allowed, and the original receipt must be itemized. Purchase of GPS locator service (or similar), and vehicle upgrades are not reimbursable. LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) and (LIS) Supplemental Liability Insurance are not reimbursable. Travelers are encouraged to refuel before returning the car, due to agencies mark up of the fuel per gallon.
  • When using a private car and asking for mileage reimbursement (currently 58 cents per mile), please provide license plate number and verify that appropriate car insurance is in effect.

Foreign Travel:

Entertainment Expenses:

  • Original itemized receipt listing all items purchased and amounts must be included.
  • All receipts must show proof of payment – your name and credit card or bank card digits should appear on the receipt, otherwise, please provide a bank or credit card statement.
  • ALWAYS include a guest list, their titles, and affiliations.
  • Provide detailed information about the purpose of the meeting.
  • Alcohol may be reimbursed from discretionary funds.

Alcohol cannot be reimbursed from Federal and State grants.

Maximum amounts allowed per person:

Breakfast: $27
Lunch: $47
Dinner: $81
Light Refreshments: $19

Airfare–Direct Payment:

Airfare can be paid in advance by contacting the UCLA Travel Center at: (310) 206‐2639 or (800) 235‐UCLA (8252). Please press “2” for Domestic Flights and “3” for International Flights. You need to tell the Travel Agent that your airfare will be paid by your department via a PTA (Pre-Trip Authorization). You will need to give the agent the itinerary of your trip and the name and email address of the Administrative Assistant that will be handling the PTA. In order for the Administrative Assistant to process the PTA you need to provide the approving professor, as well as the business justification (i.e. name of conference, meeting, etc.)

PLEASE NOTE: For overseas flights, if the airfare is being paid from a grant (i.e. National Science Foundation, DARPA etc.) you are required to book a flight on a U.S. Flag carrier.