Faculty and post-doctoral positions (Ph.D. only)
On-campus positions listed below
Henry Samueli School Engr & Ap / MECHANICAL AND AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
JPF04949 Temporary, Part-Time Positions for Adjunct Faculty
JPF04860 Temporary, Part-Time Positions for Lecturers
JPF04950 Temporary, Part-Time Positions for Visiting Professors
JPF04798 Temporary, Part-Time Positions for Visiting Project Scientist
Off-campus positions listed below
Posted May 3, 2019
IIT Gandhinagar (IITGN)
Faculty Search Committee
We are currently recruiting faculty in all areas of Mechanical Science and Engineering and seek your help in sharing this e-mail and the attached flyer with your colleagues in other universities/institutes, postdoctoral fellows, and PhD students who might be interested in exploring opportunities at IITGN.
We are open to receiving applications in all areas of research. Well qualified candidates in the areas of Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering, Control Systems and Robotics, Fluid and Thermal Sciences, Human Biomechanics, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research/Management, Manufacturing Sciences and Theoretical, Applied and Experimental Mechanics, and scholars whose work is interdisciplinary are especially encouraged to apply.
IITGN also has a vibrant visiting faculty program and we invite visiting faculty applications for positions ranging from a semester or longer.
The institute provides unparalleled research support such as attractive startup grants (with no upper limit), schemes to attract high-quality PhD students, generous travel support for faculty and students, semester overseas support for PhD students, and many more. Interdisciplinarity and diversity are part of our DNA and our USP. Faculty members can teach and guide students in any discipline. Our faculty members have graduated from world’s leading institutes such as MIT, CMU, Cornell, UIUC etc. Our faculty is from 18 states in India and we have 20% women faculty members. We are also currently home to 6 Ramanujam Fellows, 9 INSPIRE Fellows, and 2 Ramalingaswami Fellows. Our award-winning campus has spacious housing for faculty and is located near Ahmedabad, one of India’s safest cities and the only UNESCO designated world heritage city in India. We are also in close proximity of India’s leading industrial hubs and prestigious educational and research institutions, including Physical Research Laboratory, IIM Ahmedabad, National Institute of Design, Institute for Plasma Research, ISRO Space Applications Centre, etc.
More information about the institute and the application process, prerequisites, pay scales, and FAQs for prospective faculty candidates is available at https://www.iitgn.ac.in/faculty-recruitment.htm.
Posted February 27, 2019
Aerospace Engineering Group. Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Avda. Universidad, 30. 28911, Leganés. Madrid. España
The Aerospace Engineering Group of the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M), Spain (www.uc3m.es) invites applications to fill one position of Assistant Professor in the field of Aircraft Structures and Manufacturing.
Duties of the new faculty member include:
● To establish a vigorous, internationally-competitive technology research program in the fields of Aircraft Structural Design and Aircraft Manufacturing.
● To teach and/or coordinate courses in Aircraft Structures and Manufacturing within UC3M Aerospace Engineering Degrees. (Information on these degrees, taught fully in English, is available at aero.uc3m.es.)
● To build competitive proposals for extramural research funding and supervise PhD Theses.
● All regular management, representation, and dissemination activities of faculty members.
Desired skills and experience:
● Young PhD holder in Aerospace Engineering or related fields with high research potential.
● Postdoctoral experience. A typical figure, but not exclusive, would be 3-6 years.
● Background complementing strengths at the UC3M Aerospace Engineering Group.
● Strong record of publications and projects.
● Both good independent and team-working.
● Critical thinking, and ability to cope with challenges, innovation, and interdisciplinarity.
● Ability to establish scientific and industrial relationships for cooperative projects.
● The annual gross salary (minimum: 30k€) and contract duration (minimum: 2 years) will be based on candidate CV and experience, and UC3M salary categories.
● Health coverage under the National Health System.
● University salary supplements based on individual research and teaching performances.
● Funds to hire one PhD student.
● Starting date: September 2019
Applications must be sent to with Reference AERO19/03-MAN and including
● a CV (max. 8 pages).
● a motivation letter of experience, interests, and future goals (max. 2 pages).
● contact information of, at least, 2 professional references.
Deadline: April 22, 2019. Late arrivals could be considered
A hiring Committee will be appointed by the Department and will video-interview the top candidates before taking a decision. All the Committee actions will fulfill UC3M’s HR Excellence Accreditation (HRS4R award) on transparency, gender equality, and equal opportunities.
Posted February 27, 2019
4 Draco Dr., Edwards AFB, CA 93524
Job Title: CFD Research Engineer Labor Category: Exempt
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide computational fluid dynamics (CFD) support to the Combustion Devices Branch of the Air Force Research Laboratory, Rocket Propulsion Division (AFRL/RQRC). Duties will include generating grids, performing CFD simulations and post processing results related to liquid rocket engine injector and main chamber development. This position requires a balanced individual with high technical aptitude that enjoys performing challenging simulations.
The employee will participate in analysis of existing and future space-related systems through one or more of the following activities:
- Generation of computational grids.
- Setup and run in-house and commercial computational fluid dynamics codes.
- Post process simulation results and compare to experimental data.
- Modify in-house computational codes to add models and modify existing models
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary project team.
- Collaborate with Rocket Propulsion Division organizations (Engines, Motors, Combustion Devices, Propellants, Operations, Material Applications, it, etc) and external research organizations (NASA, Universities, etc).
- An understanding of the use of computational fluid dynamics to model reacting & non-reacting flowfields
- Experience in wall modeling and heat transfer is preferred but not required
- Proven ability to use CFD codes to conduct simulations
- Proven ability to generate computational grids for complex geometry, ICEMCFD preferred but not required
- Proven ability to use programing languages to solve engineering problems and make modifications to existing codes. Languages of interest: C/C++, Python, FORTRAN.
- Familiarity with rocket propulsion desirable but not necessary – willing to learn.
- The candidate shall have a good command of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- A good knowledge of the English language is required.
- The candidate shall be able to operate in a team environment, and shall have good interpersonal, reporting and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering.
- Early to mid-Career Level, 1–15 years of experience
- The candidate shall be able to obtain a US security clearance
https://jobs-sierralobo.icims.com/jobs/intro or resumes can be sent to our HR office at . EOE/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Posted February 27, 2019
Job Title: R&D Liquid Rocket Engineer/Scientist – ERC
Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Edwards Air Force Base – Edwards, CA 93524 US (Primary)
ERC, Incorporated located at the Air Force Research Laboratory, Edwards AFB, CA is seeking a research and development engineer or scientist for liquid rocket combustion devices. The selected applicant will join an established team of scientists and engineers, performing basic research in liquid rocket combustion. Applicants will need to have earned a Ph.D. in a relevant engineering or science discipline, have strong oral and written English communication skills, and possess a thorough fundamental understanding of gas dynamics, combustion, and heat transfer. Experience with rockets and/or high pressures is highly desirable.
Emphasis areas include the physical and chemical processes associated with injection, combustion, detonation, and thermal management in rocket thrust chambers as well as the design and execution of subscale rocket device testing and modular engine concepts. Researcher will utilize techniques such as subscale combustor hardware measurements, optical and laser diagnostics, CFD and numerical tools, high-speed data acquisition systems, and analysis to understand rocket engine combustors or detonation engines. The successful applicant will also be expected to work closely with companion modeling and simulation efforts also underway in the group.
Collaboration with external research groups as well as with the applied engine development groups within AFRL, participation in technical symposia, publishing in refereed journals, and maintaining a strong international reputation are expected.
- Rocket engine experience
- Laser diagnostics
- High speed data acquisition systems
- Thorough fundamental understanding of gas dynamics, combustion and heat transfer
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- High-pressure combustion system measurement experience
- PhD in engineering or relevant science discipline
- Must be able to obtain a clearance
- US Citizen