Xiaolin Zhong, Ph.D.
Hypersonics and Computational Aerodynamics Group
|Areas of Interest
Computational fluid dynamics; hypersonic flows, development of new very high-order numerical methods; numerical simulation of hypersonic boundary layer receptivity, stability, and transition; numerical simulation of real-gas hypersonic flow; development of high-order immersed interface method for flow simulations; DNS of strong shock interaction with turbulence; numerical simulation studies of wave energy harvesting devices.
Most Recent Publications
- X. Wang and X. Zhong, “The stabilization of a hypersonic boundary layer using local sections of porous coating,” Physics of Fluids, 24, 034105, 2012.
- J. Lei and X. Zhong, “Linear Stability Analysis of Nose Bluntness Effects on Hypersonic Boundary Layer Transition,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 24-37, 2012.
- A. Prakash, N. Parsons, X. Wang, and X. Zhong, “High-order shock-fitting methods for direct numerical simulation of hypersonic flow with chemical and thermal nonequilibrium,” Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 230, 2011, Pages 8474-8507.
- X. Zhong and X. Wang, “Direct Numerical Simulation of Receptivity, Instability, and Transition of Hypersonic Boundary Layers,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 44, pp. 527-561, 2012.
- X. Wang, X. Zhong and Y. Ma, “Response of a Hypersonic Boundary Layer to Wall Blowing–Suction,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 49, No. 7, July 2011, pages 1336-1353.
- M. Lagha, J. Kim, J. D. Eldredge, and X. Zhong, “Near-wall dynamics of compressible boundary layers,” Physics of Fluids, 23, 065109 (1-13), 2011.
- M. Lagha, J. Kim, J. D. Eldredge, and X. Zhong, “A numerical study of compressible turbulent boundary layers,” Physics of Fluids, 23, 015106 (1-12) 2011.
- A. Tumin, X. Wang, and X. Zhong, “Numerical simulation and theoretical analysis on hypersonic boundary-layer receptivity to wall blowing-suction,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 49, No. 3, 2011, Pages 463-471.
- L. Duan, X. Wang, and X. Zhong, “A high-order cut-cell method for numerical simulation of hypersonic boundary-layer instability with surface roughness,” Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 229, Issue 19, 20 September 2010, Pages 7207-7237.
- P. S. Rawat and X. Zhong, “On high-order shock-fitting and front-tracking schemes for numerical simulation of shock–disturbance interactions,” Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 229, Issue 19, 20 September 2010, Pages 6744-6780.
- E. Johnsen, J. Larsson, A. Bhagatwala, W. H. Cabot, P. Moin, B. J. Olson, P. S. Rawat, S. K. Shankar, B. Sjögreen, H.C. Yee, X. Zhong, S. K. Lele, “Assessment of high-resolution methods for numerical simulations of compressible turbulence with shock waves,” Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 229, Issue 4, 20 February 2010, Pages 1213-1237.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Associate Fellow, AIAA
- Phi Tau Phi
- Allied Signal Faculty Research Award, Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science