Travel Reimbursement Instructions
UCLA’s general requirement is that the deadline to submit a Travel Reimbursement Request in the Travel Express System is within 45 DAYS after the completion of travel, but the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department recommends that all Travel Reimbursement Requests be provided to an Administrative Assistant at least 30 DAYS after the completion of travel because of the delay caused by the backlog of earlier submissions. However, the BEST ADVICE is to turn in all Travel Reimbursement Requests immediately after the conclusion of the trip. If you submit your travel 30 days or more after the completion of travel, please also include a justification for late submission, otherwise, Travel Accounting may consider your reimbursement income and subject you to income taxes.
- Travel reimbursement is due after the completion of the trip, and a Travel Reimbursement Request Form must be completed.
- Original itemized receipts (list of what was purchased) must be submitted for all expenses
- Itemized receipts must show form of payment (cash, check, ATM debit or credit card). If item was paid by Bank or Credit Card, your name and bank or credit card digits should appear on the receipt, otherwise please provide a bank or credit card If the item was paid by check, the front and back of the cancelled check is required.
- All travel reimbursements require a justification detailing the reason for the trip and must include the name of the conference or meeting, as well as the dates and location.
- If available, please provide the account name, FAU number, or recharge ID code to charge.
ONLY THE TRAVELER will be reimbursed. You CANNOT pay for another traveler’s expenses.
- UCLA DOES NOT honor DOMESTIC Per Diem.
- Meals and incidentals will be reimbursed based on the actual amount spent (with original itemized receipts) up to a daily maximum of $71. There is no exception to the $71 maximum.
- Reimbursement for meals of a trip that is LESS THAN 24 hours in duration IS NOT REIMBURSABLE, unless the travel involves an overnight stay.
- Car rentals – “Economy only” is allowed, and the original receipt must be itemized. Purchase of GPS locator service (or similar), and vehicle upgrades are not reimbursable. LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) and (LIS) Supplemental Liability Insurance are not reimbursable. Travelers are encouraged to refuel before returning the car, due to agencies mark up of the fuel per gallon.
- When using a private car and asking for mileage reimbursement (currently 57.5 cents per mile to cover gasoline and maintenance for 2015), please provide license plate number and verify that appropriate car insurance is in effect.
- Submission of original receipts is required for reference. Expenses cannot exceed Per Diem rates for lodging and meals/incidentals according to values posted by the U.S. State Department OR from actual receipts.
- Per diem rates can be found at https://www.travel.ucla.edu/policy-resources/per-diem-expenses
- Original itemized receipt listing all items purchased and amounts must be included.
- All receipts must show proof of payment – your name and credit card or bank card digits should appear on the receipt, otherwise, please provide a bank or credit card statement.
- ALWAYS include a guest list, their titles, and affiliations.
- Provide detailed information about the purpose of the meeting.
- Alcohol may be reimbursed from discretionary funds.
Alcohol cannot be reimbursed from Federal and State grants.
Maximum amounts allowed per person:
Current rates are meals rates for Entertainment breakfast, lunch and dinner meals are:
Airfare can be paid in advance by contacting the UCLA Travel Center at: (310) 206‐2639 or (800) 235‐UCLA (8252). Please press “2” for Domestic Flights and “3” for International Flights. You need to tell the Travel Agent that your airfare will be paid by your department via a PTA (Pre-Trip Authorization). You will need to give the agent the itinerary of your trip and the name and email address of the Administrative Assistant that will be handling the PTA. In order for the Administrative Assistant to process the PTA you need to provide the approving professor, as well as the business justification (i.e. name of conference, meeting, etc.)
PLEASE NOTE: For overseas flights, if the airfare is being paid from a grant (i.e. National Science Foundation, DARPA etc.) you are required to book a flight on a U.S. Flag carrier.