MAE Industrial Advisory Board Meeting
Rice Room, 6764 Boelter Hall
Friday, May 25th, 2007
8:00-8:30 am Arrival, continental breakfast
8:30-8:45 am Welcoming comments: Dean Vijay Dhir/Prof. Adrienne Lavine
8:45-9:15 am Overview of graduate programs and updates: Prof. Xiaolin Zhong
9:15-9:45 am Overview of undergraduate programs and updates: Prof. Bob M’Closkey
9:45-10:15 am Faculty recruitment: Prof. Adrienne Lavine
10:15-10:30 am Break
10:30-11:00 am Overview of Industrial Affiliates Program: Prof. Greg Carman
11:00 am-12:00 pm Undergraduate student research projects: presentations by student leaders
ASME Battlebots: Jeff O’Donohue, Rob Glidden
SAE Supermileage: Brian Wilhelm, Mike Raymond, Brett Rosenthal
SAE Mini-Baja: Alex Serriere
Mars Rover: Andrew Boggeri
AIAA Des./Build/Fly: Gerard Toribio, Gaurav Bansal, Eric Chrisman
12:00-1:15 pm Luncheon
1:15-1:30 pm Systems engineering: Prof. Les Lackman
1:30-2:00 pm New faculty research & research centers: Profs. Lavine, Carman, Ho
2:00-3:15 pm IAB caucus period: (Chair: Dr. Munir Sindir, Pratt-Whitney)
1. Mechanisms for improved UCLA-industry interactions:
– Undergraduate, graduate scholarships/fellowships and internships.
– Industry visit days.
– Other suggestions.
2. Faculty recruitment. Defining our focus in Aerospace and Energy.* Future areas.
3. Graduate education. Are our graduates effective? M.S. breadth vs. depth.* Other advice.
4. Undergraduate education. Are our graduates effective? Matlab vs.
C++.* Education in Energy.* Other advice.
3:15-3:30 pm Break
3:30-4:30 pm IAB Outbrief to and discussions with UCLA MAE Faculty.